Thursday, March 4, 2010

First Chemo Treatment...

So today was the day. Overall...okay. Started out a little rough. The nurse had a really hard time getting the IV in and had to try two different spots. And as I said before...I HATE needles! So that was a little tough. Then I got a couple of things through the IV before the chemo drugs. One of them was Benadryl. That hurt like crazy...and I got a rash around the IV. So then they started one Chemo drug. That went fine. Second Chemo drug...not so fine. They told me that there could be some side effects and what they might be but they didn't make it seem like a big deal. So when I started having a hard time breathing and having back pain I just sucked it up and dealt with it. After a couple of minutes it passed. They came to see how I was doing and if I had any side effects. So I said, "Yes. I was having a hard time breathing and having some back pain...but it's gone now." She looked at me like I had 4 heads and wouldn't leave my side for a while. From there it was fine. So far I feel fine, just a little off. Not really sick in my stomach, just off. The next couple of days are supposed to be the hardest so we'll just have to wait and see.
Had the brain MRI and the full body CT scan yesterday. Got the results today. Dr. White was very frustrated with the radiologists because she felt like he was reading too much into the scans. He saw all these small spots...too small to measure...which she said was probably just scar tissue and nothing to worry about. However, I will have to have another CT scan in 3 months.
So...we're off to a good start! I've got a long way to go and it certainly isn't going to be fun but I can do it!

6 comments:

  1. You CAN do it! Please let your friends know if you need anything. We are still here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Team Michelle" is at the ready for ANYTHING you need!! You are constantly on our hearts and minds. Anna Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    I know you can do it as you are a very strong person. You are in my prayers. Can I give you phone number to my sister-in-law so you can talk about it? Have you been in touch with the Cancer Center at the hospital? I have a few things for you to help with you comfort! discuss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, remember to take it easy and listen to your body. I hope it stays the same over the next few days. I'll be thinking of you! You can do this! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,

    Hope today's going well. For me, this was the worst day after my first chemo so take it easy. I just want to tell you to listen to your body and your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, call them. Don't hesitate. They have a full arsenal of drugs to counteract any of the side effects. Also, some of the things that Kathy Franey has for you will help save your finger and toe nails. Tea tree oil is a life saver. Hopefully the chemo center told you that already. Please feel free to call me. Ellen Currotto 443-676-1227

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you got the first one behind you! We are praying for you! Hunter did realitively good until the last couple of months when he had a lot in his system so let us all help you! You need all the strength you can save for this battle! You are an amazing, uplifting, inspiring survivor! We are so proud of you!
    Love, The Presgraves

    ReplyDelete