Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reconstruction - Phase I

Wow...it's been a long time! But not too much has happened so there's not too much to catch up on. The big thing that's happened is reconstruction!
I went in on Tuesday and had the expanders put in and my port for chemo taken out. The expanders were put in to stretch the skin and muscle to make room for my new boobies. It's a process that takes a few months and some pretty painful days but the outcome will be worth it. I go back in a couple of weeks to have the expanders "pumped up." They will fill them up with saline every two weeks until either I say enough or the scar tissue won't allow them to stretch any further. Of course the first question everyone has is "How big will you go?" But I don't really have an answer because it all depends on the amount of scar tissue and how much pain I can actually handle. Each filling gets more and more painful. When all the fillings are done I'll have to leave the expanders in for a month or two to let everything settle and heal completely. Then I'll get the real implants and they'll cut away some more scar tissue to relieve some of the pressure. Then I'll have the best looking boobs in town:)
I've been really excited for this surgery and expected it to be pretty easy compared to what I've already been through. I even told Reed that he could leave a couple of days after the surgery to bring back the Kahuna from Massachusetts.
So here's the reality...it has been SO much easier than the first time. Not exactly a walk in the park but definately easier. This time I have no drains. I can't use my arms too much or my new boobs might pop out of place and end up on my shoulders. But that's not too bad. I'm already off my pain meds. I've taken showers and it's only been four days! Last time it was three weeks before I could take a shower! Reed did leave on Friday. Before any of you start thinking he's some dead beat husband you need to know that I told him to go. He didn't ask if he could. It was my idea. This boat being up north has really been weighing on him because he knows the longer he waits to bring it back the more trecherous the waters will be. He was worried about being iced in and not being able to leave. So I told him I would be fine...which I am...if he went.
The hardest part is my kids. I'm fine by myself. But I can't really take care of them. Especially Willa!!! Boy has she been a treat lately! Love her to pieces and I don't want her to change because one day she's going to kick some serious a*@, but my gracious! I can't even spank her!!! All I can do is watch her act like a crazy kid until she decides to stop. At least I've got my mom!!! My mom has been here everyday or she's had Willa with her. Tonight she's spending the night in case Willa wakes up...and she will...she always does!

No comments:

Post a Comment